Education started in Ramallah at a Greek Orthodox school created by the Patriarchate in Jerusalem about 1840, when a Protestant missionary named Samuel Gobat arrived and established five schools, one of which was in Ramallah. It was a missionary school, while the first Orthodox school was a national school. Gobat’s school remained open until just before the First World War.
In 1857, the Roman Catholics came to Ramallah, and opened Al Ahleyyeh school school for boys.IN 1873 , The St. Joseph School for girls was built. and As to the first boarding girls' schools, in 1889, the Friends (Quakers) group established the first girls’ school of its kind in Ramallah and in Palestine.
The establishment of this school was an incentive for the Greek Orthodox to create a girls school, and the Roman Catholics followed suit. In 1901, the Friends (Quakers) established the Friends Boys School in Ramallah.
After 1950, some institutes, such as the governmental Women Teachers’ College, were established. A school for implementation and educational experiments was attached to the college. Education is mixed in the college.